Sunday, May 4, 2008

Setting foot on the mainland ... very tentatively

It occurred to me that I've spent the last two months on various islands: Fiji, New Zealand, Australia (that's just a big island, really), Bali, Java, Borneo, but after a bit more wondering around Kota Kinabalu, waiting for 24 hors to pass since my last dive, I was all set to climb on another Air Asia flight and finally fly to the Asian mainland in Johor Bahru, Malaysia.


Wondering around KK: I went to see the State Mosque... It's quite large amd rather modern looking, but overall, fairly underwhelming


Now Johor Bahru is in Peninsular Malaysia, so when the airplane landed I was actually back on the Asian mainland... But soon I thought better of this - I was really headed to Singapore, JB was just a cheaper flight than going directly into Singapore, so a 30 minute bus ride, a relatively easy middle of the night border crossing, and I was back in the relative comfort zone of being on an island: Singapore this time.

Some quick impressions of Singapore, now that I've spent a day here:
- it's not nearly as clean as you'd think. Yes, it's clean, but I was expecting pristine and immaculate, instead it's sort of on the level of any Western city: a lot cleaner that most of SE Asia, but not as clean as I'd imagined. My hostel is in Little India (most are), and while a lot cleaner than actual India, Little India certainly has its own collections of trash on the ground. Oh, and people do jay-walk too!


A Hindu temple in Singapore's Little India, honoring the rather blood-thirsty Goddess Kali


- outside of Little India, Singapore really does look like a big financial capital, with sky scrapers and expensive cars on the road:




The odd looking sea lion(?), which has become a de facto mascot of Singapore



The strange looking, bulbous buildings are the Esplanade Performance Center


I've also learned that it's quite, quite hot in Singapore - I was told today was a cool day of 'only' 33 degrees, Celsius. I went and played pickup frisbee with the locals in the afternoon - running for three hours in this heat's a serious challenge. Came away exhausted and hurting after not having gotten that much exercise in four months, but it was a lot of fun nonetheless. Afterwards, I've discovered what is now easily my favorite place to eat in the world: the Foodmore food court, near my hostel, is just a food court, but all it has is lots and lots of different places serving all kinds of SE Asian food: Thai, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, anything you want! There's even a 'Western food' place, but I'm honestly not entirely sure why you'd ever go there.

Tomorrow, I'm committing myself to mainland Asia, taking either a bus or a train all the way North to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and will probably be staying on the mainland for the next few weeks, heading towards China across Malaysia, Thailand, and Laos.

No comments: